Travelling Trowel - Rules of Engagement
For those unaware of the purpose of the "Travelling Trowel", it is intended to promote good-hearted rivalry among the Daughter Lodges in the Province, and as a "bonus" to raise donations for Charities.
The "capture" of the Trowel is therefore warmly commended as cheerful, fraternal fun and as a fund generating activity within the Province of Linlithgowshire.
1. The "Open Season" is from 1st May until the following 30th April.
2. The Trowel can only be "captured" by Daughter Lodges in the Province of Linlithgowshire.
3. To "capture" the Trowel a Visiting Lodge must take a Deputation of at least 7 members (honorary members are excluded!) into any
Regular or Special Meeting of the Lodge holding the Trowel. The Visiting Lodge can only "count" its members actually forming the
Deputation that enters the Lodge holding the Trowel. Members of the Visiting Lodge sitting in the "holding" Lodge before the
Deputation enters, non-members in the Deputation and latecomers after the Deputation enters don't "count".
4. Lodges invited for the purpose of conferring a degree in the “holding” Lodge can claim the trowel if there is no other lodge with 7 members or more.
5. Each member of the Visiting Deputation must contribute at least £1 to the "Travelling Trowel Kitty" before the Trowel can be claimed
by the Visiting Lodge and the Brother heading the Deputation must claim the Trowel before the close of the meeting of the Lodge
6. In the event of two or more Visiting Deputations, each with at least 7 brethren, visiting the "holding" Lodge, the Visiting Lodge with
the larger Deputation will have first claim on the Trowel, subject to payment into the "Kitty". If there are two or more Lodges each
with the same size of Deputation then each Deputation will be required to contribute to the "Kitty" and thereafter the Lodge entitled
to "capture" the Trowel will be decided in such manner as the Master of the "holding" Lodge may determine on the evening.
7. On the "capture" of the Trowel the successful Lodge should immediately notify the "PROVINCIAL" establishment
(Secretary/Webmaster) so that the location of the Trowel can be recorded for information of Lodges interested in attempting its
8. The "Kitty" will travel with the Trowel and the Master of the Lodge holding the Trowel at any time will be responsible for the safe
custody of the "Kitty".
9. The Lodge holding the Trowel at 30th April shall determine the charity - whether masonic or non-masonic - to which the "Kitty" is to
be donated. Lodges will contact Provincial Grand Lodge intimating the nominated charity and the "Kitty" shall be made
over to the charity as soon as practicable after 30th April. Publicity should be sought when presenting the donation.